- To be the leading urology provider for Shepparton’s and the greater Goulburn Valley region.
- To build a strong, supportive and high quality group of like-minded urologists to provide excellence in patient care.
- To improve the health and quality of life for all our patients.
- The pursuit of excellence in all areas urology.
- Patient care and patient experience is at the heart of everything we do.
- We aim to follow best practice in medicine to optimize patient outcomes.
- We aim to build strong working relationships with our referring doctors, nurses and allied health professionals.
- We foster an environment of mutual respect, teamwork, openness, and continuing education.
- Our core values include trust, integrity, service, respect, communication and quality.
HISTORY OF SHEPPARTON UROLOGY GROUP
Shepparton Urology Group (SUG) was formed in 2017 by Mr Peter Mortensen, Mr Lih-Ming Wong and Mr Daniel Lenaghan. The group was built on the practice of Peter Mortensen, who provided a dedicated urological service to the area beginning in 2002. In early 2018 Shepparton Urology Group welcomed another Urologist to their services, Mr. Tony Makris.
Peter, Ming, Dan and Tony all work at Goulburn Valley Health and Shepparton Private Hospital. The group is ably supported by practice manager Kelly Jamieson and her team of Jodie Van Popering and Rachel Sherlock. We aim to provide excellence in urology care for our patients by working closer together as a team to minimize delay for patients requiring urgent review or surgery.
For minor urological procedures, we endeavor to perform these safely in Shepparton at either GVH Base or Shepparton Private. Mr. Tony Makris also offers to perform public procedures at Kyabram Health. However, for major surgery, our links through St Vincent’s Public and Private Hospitals, and Epworth Health enable us to access other specialty support, interventional radiology and other specialized equipment not available in Shepparton.
As urologists, we work closely with our pelvic floor physiotherapist, Tina Pesavento who consults from our rooms. Tina specializes in pelvic floor exercises and bladder retraining, both essential in improving urinary continence.
Sonia Strachan is the prostate cancer nurse for Shepparton who provides an invaluable link and supportive resource to our prostate cancer patients. Together, with the generous aid of the Shepparton Biggest Blokes Lunch, Goulburn Valley Health was awarded the Excellence in Cancer Care for its prostate cancer services at the 2016 Victorian Public Healthcare Awards.